Monday 3 August 2015

4 x 4 Syria




My son was visiting Berlin and met a Syrian guy who he got chatting to. The Syrian was a refugee and talked a lot about the situation in Syria and how difficult it was living in a war torn country. When my son got back to England the guy sent him a picture of his town and said that the building in the centre was actually the house where he used to live. I was quite amazed by the way that some people have to come to terms with appalling conditions in their lives but also that we just take it for granted that it is quite normal to encounter these things on the internet or through television. Its the strangeness of watching the news whilst eating your dinner.
I have recently been working on a series of sculptures that are all based on building that are half demolished through such things as war. It seemed right to use the photo that my son had been sent as part of one of these sculptures. I will probably make it part of a series of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment